What happened?
After months of preparation and hours of individual and group practice, we performed our funk version of Neiked's Sexual twice. As a band; we were syncopated throughout due to our many rehearsals, some of which have been documented on my blog.
How was I feeling?
As far as creating the song in the first place went, I feel that the previous task that we did had a huge impact on how well the cover went as we had gained knowledge on how cover songs had been done before which helped us develop our covering technique. I took the roll of the MD/Producer in rehearsals so I had a large creative input so I felt a little bit of pressure when performing lest people disliked our song.
Due to the immense amount of practice that my group had put into this project, I was feeling incredibly confident about the song itself and I am very confident in my playing in front of others which add to this. This can be evidenced by my stance and charisma on stage (when I'm not being blocked by lead vocals). There was a large amount of syncopation and eye contact between all band members due to our confidence with the song and each other's ability.
What was good and bad about the experience?
In it's entirety, the performance went incredibly well. In the recording you can hear that everything is in time, although I did accidentally play over the bassist's fill in the second performance before the 2nd verse but other than that I cannot recall any major issues with the performances. Due to the fact that we stuck to our Gantt chart we remained on schedule which is why we did so well.
Although there was some lack of communication between the producers at first we quickly picked up the pace and did some recordings on our to get past this problem. This meant we could play it to our producers in better quality and gain feedback of them as well as rehearse the song in our time.
What sense can I make/take from the assessment?
After the assessment, I have gained more confidence in my ideas as a composer and MD as I am happy with the direction the song took and the overall product. The entire project was made to make sure we plan out what we do, work well together, work to a deadline and adapt songs to different genres. I feel like I have a gained a wider knowledge on all of these things and this is demonstrated by our performance. The overall performance went incredibly well due to everyone trying their hardest and I have learnt thast even if a group aren't always practising together, they can still put on a great performance as a collective despite only rehearsing as an entire group few times.
What more could I have done?
For the project I had planned most of the rehearsals, contributed a large amount of ideas to the song and recorded some rehearsals using microphones and not just a phone. I believe that there was not much more I could have done for this performance other than perform it and practice it with my friends even more than I already had.
That being said, during the early days I could have had more of an input on what we did by being more accurate and demonstrative to the vocalists in what I wanted, for example; in the pre-chorus the vocals sing "you are you are" differently and if I had mentioned that idea earlier we could have changed the song even more.
Action plan
I believe that this assessment was incredibly well done by everyone in my group and whilst I can't pick out any minor flaws in the performance as we cannot see the raw footage, I would happily work with this group again and in the same way, as the performance was awesome.
My plan for the future is to work closely to how I worked on this project as I believe it went incredibly well. I felt like I did good taking charge sometimes and adding my own melodic ideas, despite playing drums. To conclude, I am veryu happy with how this project went awnd the way we prepared for it
No comments:
Post a Comment